Since January 2003, Jim has been one of the Managing Directors at The Christman Group. Prior to joining The Christman Group, Jim ran his own business valuation practice after managing the business valuation division of a national consulting firm.
Jim’s responsibilities at The Christman Group include business development and executing transactions. In the business development role, Jim helps to maintain The Christman Group’s relationships with the top banks, law firms, wealth managers, accounting firms, and consultants in Chicago and nationwide.
As a transaction specialist, Jim prepares comprehensive exit plans, business valuations, offering memoranda, industry research, identifying and contacting buyers, and a helping with virtually every other aspect of serving clients.
Jim has been involved in over 30 sell-side engagements and has prepared over 500 business valuations.
Jim is also a regular speaker on exit planning and valuation at seminars and national trade conventions:
- Taking Care of Business, Dealer Conference for Nationwide Manufacturer/Distributor of Commercial and Residential Overhead Doors
- Maximizing Value, Northern Trust, Family Business Breakfast Series
- Valuing A Cash Business, Midwest Business Brokers & Intermediaries Seminar How to Buy & Sell Businesses
- Business Appraisal 101, Masonry Contractors Association of America, MCAA Showcase, Chicago, IL
- Business Appraisal 101, Refrigeration Services Engineering Society, RSES National Convention, Nashville, TN
- Business Appraisal 101, Masonry Contractors Association of America, MCAA Showcase, Phoenix, AZ
In addition, he is the co-author of Business Valuation for Dummies (Wiley Publishing May 2009).
In his spare time, Jim is a competitive tennis player at the national level and serves the Professional Tennis Registry as its representative for the state of Illinois. Currently, Jim is the five-time defending champion of the Midwest Hardcourt, 35 and over, doubles championship. As a former junior and NCAA Division I – collegiate player, he has been playing and/or coaching tennis competitively for over 25 years and is certified by the Professional Tennis Registry (“PTR”) at the highest of their three levels. Currently, he is on the pro staff of The Diversey Tennis Center on Chicago’s lakefront.
He holds a Bachelor of Business – Economics and a Masters of Business Administration with concentrations in Finance and Marketing from Western Illinois University.